Our track record
Our Cayman Islands team has advised on many headline matters and market firsts including:
- Establishment of a listed $500 million sukuk trust certificate programme for a prominent global investment bank
- Establishment of the first Bitcoin fund registered with the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority
- The first Cayman case to consider the effect of the Trusts Law Foreign Element Provisions in relation to an attempt to enforce foreign matrimonial orders purporting to vary a Cayman trust
- The first in the series of decisions which prompted a change in legislation to give the Cayman Court jurisdiction to grant free standing injunctive relief in support of foreign proceedings
- The first appointment of a Court appointed receiver over a portfolio of a Cayman SPC
A growing Latin American practice
Our growing Latin American practice is led from our Cayman office with Ogier being independently recognised as the clear leader for private wealth, fund formation and banking and finance work in the region, particularly Brazil.
Ogier is one of the "magic circle" offshore firms and is recognised as such by the two leading legal directories, Chambers and the Legal 500. The market routinely awards us with well-regarded industry recognition including:
- Top offshore law firm serving the hedge fund industry in the 2014 Alpha Awards by Institutional Investor’s Alpha magazine
- Top Offshore Law Firm by U.S. Fund Managers for a third consecutive year in the 2013 Hedge Funds Review Service Provider Rankings
- Dispute Resolution Law Firm of the Year, Cayman Islands - Corporate Live Wire
- Offshore Law Firm of the Year Cayman Islands - Corporate LiveWire Global Awards
Why the Cayman Islands?
From its beginnings almost 50 years ago, Cayman has steadily established itself as a mature, sophisticated international financial services centre.
- Over the past 20 years in particular, the industry has focused on two main objectives: building a world-class specialisation in institutional business, and developing strong international cooperation channels.
- The Cayman Islands’ competitive strength lies in its ability to provide an effective and cost-efficient tax-neutral platform for international capital flows. Cayman offers a one-stop shop for clients, supported by an excellent professional infrastructure in an environment of economic and political stability.
- This stability is also underpinned by the Cayman Islands’ diligence in ensuring adherence to recognised and relevant international standards in regulation, tax information exchange and prevention of financial crime under the leadership of the country’s principal financial regulator, the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority. Renowned as the leading jurisdiction for the formation of investment funds and structured finance issuers, Cayman companies are listed on stock exchanges worldwide. Ogier is an authorised listing agent for the Cayman Islands Stock Exchange (CSX). We frequently advise Cayman companies listing on other leading exchanges.
- With over 30 tax information exchange agreements, the Cayman Islands has also enacted the Tax Information Exchange Provision of the EU Savings Directive.
- With common law system based on English case law.
- With an established and highly regarded judiciary, with a dedicated Financial Services Division to handle complex commercial disputes.
- Cayman has regularly demonstrated its proactive adoption of international initiatives including its early negotiation and extension of Model 1 Intergovernmental Agreements with the US and UK to implement FATCA in Cayman