Nathan Powell is a partner based in Ogier's Hong Kong office. He has a broad corporate finance practice with particular expertise in using BVI, Cayman and Jersey companies for capital markets, IPOs, mergers and acquisitions (public and private), consortium acquisitions, private equity structures and joint ventures. He also has a strong focus on bank financing and restructurings.
Prior to joining Ogier in 2006, Nathan spent eight years as a corporate lawyer with Freshfields in London and Singapore and spent seven months on secondment to UBS London.
Before relocating to Hong Kong, Nathan was based in Ogier's Jersey office. Nathan is ranked as a leading individual in Chambers Global (2012-2016) and Chambers Asia-Pacific (2012-2016). He also features in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013-2017).
Nathan is an Advocate of the Royal Court of Jersey and admitted as a solicitor in the British Virgin Islands.
Key transactions include advising:
- China Media Capital as Cayman counsel on its US$400 million investment in Manchester City Football Club's holding company and its acquisition of a stake in Hong Kong's TVB;
- China Logistics Property as Cayman and BVI counsel on its HK$3.3 billion HK IPO and related note issuance;
- Shanghai JiaJiang Hotels on its US$1.53 billion acquisition of a 81% share in the Platino Chinese Hotel Group from the Caryle Group, Sequoia Capital and Actis;
- Ping An Insurance in connection with its participation in the take private consortium to acquire HK listed Dalian Wanda for US$4.4 billion. This is the largest take private of a Hong Kong listed company to date;
- Midea Group as BVI counsel on the establishment of a HK listed US$3 billion guaranteed medium term note programme;
- Graff Diamonds as BVI counsel in relation to a US$450 million refinancing loan and Cayman counsel on its proposed US$1 billion Hong Kong IPO;
- China Shenhua as BVI counsel on its debut US$1.5 billion international bond issue;
- China Overseas Land as Cayman counsel on its issue of €600 million 1.75% guaranteed bonds;
- The Foxconn group as BVI and Cayman counsel on various matters including the spin-off and IPO of various subsidiaries, sale of a stake in GoPro pursuant to its US IPO and several convertible bond and GDR issues;
- Khuan Choo International as BVI counsel in relation to the purchase of the Crabtree & Evelyn business;
- Chailease Holding on Cayman law aspects of its IPO and subsequent US$206 million GDR issue;
- Xstrata plc on Jersey law aspects of its US$64 billion merger with Glencore International;
- Taiwan-based Zhen Ding Technology Holding as Cayman counsel on its IPO and various convertible bond issues;
- The syndicate of banks acting as underwriters on Glencore International's US$10 billion London and Hong Kong IPO;
- A Goldman Sachs led consortium on its £2.8 billion acquisition of AB Ports plc by public offer;
- Jury’s Inn on a debt restructuring, refinancing and in 2015 £680 million disposal to Loan Star Funds;
- Hutchison Ports Holdings Limited, a subsidiary of Hutchison Whampoa Limited, in relation to the establishment of an offshore holding structure and subsequently a joint venture for a major UK port.
Nathan is a Registered Foreign Lawyer regulated by the Law Society of Hong Kong.
1999 - England and Wales
2009 - Jersey
2011 - British Virgin Islands